Monday, September 15, 2014

How to make your own baby wash

There are many reasons you might want to create your own baby wash. Maybe you don't like the added fragrance or the way they dry out your baby's skin. Maybe they're too expensive. Or maybe you just don't like the ingredients of commercial washes. 

Whatever the reason might be, I have the perfect solution for you! It's inexpensive, it's natural, it's great on sensitive skin, you know all the ingredients, and it's simple!

The initial purchase price is a little bit of upfront cost.. but I've been using this soap for over a year and haven't had to repurchase any of the ingredients. In fact, the photos you'll see below are the exact bottles that I originally purchased. They're still practically full.

First, gather your materials. You will need:
1. Coconut oil. I prefer organic, pure extra virgin coconut oil. Here is what I use: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003OGKCDC/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_21Vfub1RK9GBA
2. You'll need a container in which to add the completed project. A basin, jar, or cup is fine but I prefer a foaming soap container because this mixture will foam! I poured the container out into a plastic bag so I could use it without wasting the hand soap.  I then rinsed the container out with hot water. Easy peasy.

3. You'll need Dr Bronners Castile Soap. It's natural, gentle, and overall just good stuff. Here is where I purchased mine. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DAI76TC/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_QfWfub09NS7QF 
4. You'll need a measuring cup filled with 1/4 cup of water.

Now, the fun part.
1. Warm the water however you feel comfortable. Doesn't need to be hot, but does need to be warm. I used a tea kettle to heat it and stopped before it boiled but you can use a microwave or heat it on the stove. Be careful & don't burn yourself please!
2. Add 1/4 cup of coconut oil to the warm water. The coconut oil will likely be solid at room temperature but will melt into liquid-y goodness when put into the water.
3. Stir gently. 
4. Add the mixture to the container you plan to use for the baby wash.
5. Add 1/4 cup of Dr Bronners.
6. Swirl gently (don't shake). 

That's it! Use caution as with trying any new product on your child's skin.. but this is the most gentle baby wash formula I've ever experienced. 
After you've made it the first time, depending on the size of your container, you can increase all the portions to 1/2 cup or even 1 cup. You can also add 1-5 drops of essential oils if desired. We don't use them in our wash as I try to keep ingredients to a minimum.. but I'm certain that a few drops of lavender would be delicious.

Please keep in mind that it is not tear free. Tear free products actually just have numbing agents in them to make your child not feel pain. I'd much rather just avoid my baby's eyes than expose her to unknown amounts of chemicals.

Try it out and let me know if you love it! 

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment